So since school is round the corner (literally – I start next week..) I thought of doing a blog post on how I plan to survive this school year. If you would like to listen to this advice (god help you) then feel free! I thought it would be great if I shared some tips with you to help you with your school year. The twist is that I’m actually going to be doing it as well. I know sometimes you guys give some great advice, but I’m always too scared to follow it. I don’t even listen to myself half the time, but I’m honestly trying to change. Some of these could be really hard for you, but they are also really hard for me, so you’re not alone.
I feel like it would be really cool to do some monthly updates where we could all share how it’s going and help each other in the comments because I feel like you guys are all awesome and I would love to get to know you guys a better. Lemme know what you guys think.
Anyway, let’s get into this before I ramble on and bore you too much!
The Awkward Experts’ Guide to Surviving the School Year: 2017-2018
Now, I’m not gonna be one of those people who say that you need to buy new clothes and wear more makeup and change everything about yourselves in order to fit in (yes those people REALLY DO exist) but I am going to give a few tips on how to make your life a whole lot easier.
1. Come Prepared – Now I know that this is pretty self explanatory, but COME PREPARED! This could just be me and my lazy ass, but last year I completely forgot when school started and I hadn’t bought any new equipment and I had pretty much lost all my old equipment so I came to school like 1 minute from being late, with an empty bag and *sigh* it’s not fun guys. Anyway, heres my advice for you: Just set an alarm! Lay out your outfit the night before. Buy equipment (don’t go overboard though – I guarantee that pretty much all of it will be gone by the end of the year!) and just..don’t do what I did okay? Okay, this one was pretty simple. Lets carry on–>
2. Be Confident.. or at least try! – Now this one is actually really hard for me because I am literally the least confident person you could ever be, but this year, I’m gonna try and change. Confidence is very attractive. Not necessarily in THAT way, but confidence makes it more likely for people to want to talk to you. I’m not saying that you have to make new best friends, or to become really cocky. But in my opinion, I feel like it’s better to have people want to talk to you for the sake of wanting to talk to you, than to have people talk to you because they think you are sad. This might not make any sense but hopefully you understand what I mean. Even if you are pretending to be confident, at least it’s something. Even if it’s just starting a conversation instead of just taking back, it’s still a big step and will definitely help build your self esteem and help you in school. I’ll DEFINITELY let you guys know who this one goes for me
3. Make Time for Your Personal Life – Alright so last year, I think I only really left my house to go to school. No lie, I must have left the house for me maybe around 15 times in the whole school year (that may seem like a lot but I’m not gonna exaggerate and say 2). That was because I didn’t use my time wisely. It’s super easy to get lost in the stress of school and just let all of that anxiety rush over you and for you to have a meltdown. Trust me, I’ve had a few. But what I didn’t know is that it’s super easy to do your own thing, even when it’s school time. I wouldn’t say make a schedule for this particular thing because it would be pretty hard. The advice that I would follow would be to do your work. When you get home, have a few hours for yourself, watch Tv, eat snacks or maybe hang out with your friends. You could even get the best of both worlds and study WITH your friends. After after having some you time, THEN you can focus on homework and school and stuff. You don’t have to do this everyday, but every once in a while can make all of the difference in your physical AND mental state.
4. Stay Healthy – Some of you guys might know of this thing called “The Freshman 15”. If you don’t know what it is –
“Freshman 15” is an expression commonly used in the United States and Canada that refers to an amount (set at 15 pounds) of weight gained during a student’s first year at college.
Yeah…it’s not just during college and it’s not just 15… Anyway, last year I was super unhealthy, mainly because I didn’t have time to be healthy because I was busy with school. My advice for this would be to just make time again. There is no way in hell that you are too busy to do a 20 minute workout. You could be in your bedroom, your living room, anywhere there is space. Also, make healthy eating a bit easier, you could make a meal/snack the night before, keep it in the fridge and BOOM! no more chips. For me this could be really hard because, as some of you may know, I turned 15 recently, which means I am going into Year 11 or sophomore year or whatever you may call it. This means that this is a VERY important year for me so it basically means that studying may have to become my new best friend. I’m going to try this out and see how it goes. You should as well!
5. Have Some School Spirt – When school started, I was part of so many clubs and teams and met some amazing people. Then shit happened (pardon my French) and I fell off the wagon and became Miss Antisocial. You guys should definitely try and join some clubs. This year, I’m going to try and become more involved with school activities. Not only will it be good for your resumes and college applications, it will also help you come out of your comfort zone and you can meet lots of amazing people because they are interested in the same things you are.
6. Teachers are There for a Reason! – Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t like asking for help from teachers. I don’t know why, maybe it’s a pride thing, but I never ask for help and sometimes in class I’m just confused. This year I’m going to try and put my ego aside and just ask for help when I need it. I mean, what’s the point of teachers if you don’t ask for help? It’s literally what they specify in. If any of you are the type of people to get confused and when the teacher asks if you understand and you say yes and then when you gotta start doing work you ask your friend for help…STOP! Just ask for help. I promise, it’ll make your life a hell of a lot easier.
This Message Has Been Approved By The Awkward Expert
Anyways, that’s all I have for this post. I hope you guys have an amazing start to school and let me know how it goes. Also lemme know if I should update monthly and let you guys know how it’s going for me and we can talk in the comments (I’m probably going to do it anyways but..)
Also, don’t forget the basics;
- Don’t cheat
- And stay organised!
Don’t forget, my ears are always open, and so is my email –
I hope you guys liked this post because I really enjoyed writing it and make sure to head over to Bayances blog for her post and I’ll see you guys later with another post!
The Awkward Expert♥